How to get a Personal Identity Number (Personnummer) in Sweden as a permit holder

A Personal Identity Number (Personnummer) in Sweden is a unique 12 digit identification number that is used for paying taxes in Sweden, and for many other practical things in Sweden. You will generally require this when opening a bank account, taking advantage of Swedish healthcare, or even when signing up for a gym membership. Your Swedish employer may also not be able to pay out your salary until you have have one. It is therefore important that this is done as soon as possible. In this article, we will show you how to get a Personal Identity Number in Sweden as a permit holder.

A Swedish Personal Identity Number is obtained by submitting an application to the Swedish Tax Agency after your arrival in Sweden. Before applying there are, however, a few things that need to be considered:

In order to obtain a Swedish Personal ID Number, you will need to prove in the application that you have the intention of staying in Sweden for more than 1 year. You will also need to have an address in Sweden for the registration process (a temporary address is generally accepted as long as it is not a hotel or similar). Third-country nationals (non-EU/EEA) applying for a Personal ID Number will also need to provide proof that they have obtained a residence permit allowing them to live in Sweden. 

How to get a Personal Identity Number (Personnummer) in Sweden

Things to keep in mind

If you are applying for a Personal ID Number as a third country national, there are a few things to keep in mind in regards to your residence permit. You will generally not be able to receive a Personal ID Number until you have received your residence permit card from the Migration Agency. There are a few exceptions, but the general rule to follow is that you will require one for the application. One of these exceptions if you are a dependent to an EU citizen (excluding Swedish citizens). You will in this case be able to obtain a Personal ID Number without requiring a residence permit card first. 

When submitting your application it can be good that the card is valid for more than 1 year. The Tax Agency previously took issue with cards that were valid for shorter than 1 year and did not issue Personal ID Numbers in these cases. There have recently been some changes to this, but if you have a card valid for less than 1 year you may also need to submit your employment contract or other documentation showing that you will reside in Sweden for at least 1 year. The process is, however, easier if the card is valid for more than 1 year. When you are ready to apply we would recommend that you review the overview provided by the Swedish Tax Agency here.