Permanent Residence before Citizenship

I am an Indian and have been on a study permit until now. I plan on applying for work/looking for work when I graduate.
My partner is Swedish. We have been living together for 6 months and have had the same registered address since Dec 2021 (3 months).
I read on the site that I can apply for citizenship after 3 years of living here, 2 years living with him. Since we are in a serious relationship, we expect to be able to do this. But I haven’t been able to find information about this situation for a permanent residence permit application. Since if on a work permit it would be 4 years?

Notify of
1 Comment
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
2 years ago

Hi Priyanka,

We apologize for the delayed response.

Individuals who have been granted a permit based on a relationship with a Swedish citizen can be eligible for citizenship after 3 years.

While it still is correct that you can be eligible for citizenship after 3 years if you are living with a Swedish citizen, in practicality it is no longer really possible. This was due to recent changes that mean that even if an individual is eligible for citizenship after three years, they generally still need to wait for 4 years. You can find this confirmed here:

In your case you have two options; you can either apply for a work permit or a permit based on your relationship. Based on the way things are currently being processed you will still need to wait for 4 years regardless of the permit that you hold in order to be granted permanent residence. Once you have permanent residence based on either work or your relationship you can look into applying for citizenship.